Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Clouds, Rain and a day of Sun


It's been some time since my last post about Budapest.  I will attempt to do a better job about making more frequent posts.  A lot has happened since then.

Angela's parents came a visited us for a week.  They saw our daily lives here in Pöchlarn and in Wieselburg.  They enjoyed small town Austria.  Some of our adventures were met with rain which shouldn't be a surprise since it's cloudy and rainy pretty much every day right now.  The worst was when we were biking along the Danube and through the Wachau wine region.  Sun turned to clouds and rain began to fall until we were soaked and frozen with no option but to keep on pedaling.  A stop for some wine and food fueled us along to the finish.  Before heading back to the US, they were able to explore some of Salzburg and drink some beer in Munich.  It was great to have company here.  Anyone else who's thinking about visiting, stop thinking and book a flight!

After dropping Mari Jo and Mark off in Munich, Angela and I stayed for the weekend and saw the sights.  An amazing tour on Saturday,beautiful weather on Sunday and good beer each night made it a spectacular weekend.

Teaching has been an interesting experience for me.  With so many different classes, I'm just starting to see the same students for the second or third time.  I'm learning more and more each day and getting more comfortable with my classes as I get to know them better.  My lessons topics range from agriculture (since it is an agricultural school) to tourist sites in the US to just about anything I wish to teach.  The English teachers at my school are both very nice and helpful.  They've made my experience so far very enjoyable.

Last week I got a tour of the school and it was amazing to see the facilities they have.  From a slaughterhouse where they produce their own meat to gardens, fields and endless labs and machine shops, the school has just about everything.  They even have a bio fuel plant which produced renewable energy for school and neighboring households.  The students spend a large part of their time working in these areas learning practical skills for farming or other related jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment